Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) Application Procedures for Applicants
Step 1: Visit the following website.
You MUST enter the site address as follows: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
The Ocean Gate Police Department ORI# is NJ0152100 (You will NOT be able to complete the FARS online application without this ORI#)
Step 2: Complete the online application. When completing the application, you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
You will be contacted to appear at the Ocean Gate Police Department to pay for your Initial FID Card and / or Pistol Purchase Permits immediately upon applying. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have paid for the FID Card / Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of the application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4
Step 3: After you complete your online application, you may be contacted via email by the Ocean Gate Police Department for further instructions.
You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process.
Once your application is complete, a Ocean Gate Police Department representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or pistol purchase permit documents. DO NOT CONTACT OR APPEAR AT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL ADVISED TO DO SO.
Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
APPLICATION TIPS The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI (NJ0152100) for the Ocean Gate Police Department.
1. FARS has replaced paper applications.
2. This system has been mandated by the Governor’s Office to expedite the process and provide accountability for the length of time an application may take to process.
3. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name.” They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph).
4. Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references.
5. Family members can be references.
6. After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
7. An INITIAL APPLICANT must be fingerprinted. Please follow the online instructions.
8. The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue and a copy must be provided.
9. No payment is taken from initial applicants by FARS. Only 212A applicants will pay at the end of their online application process. Applicants are reminded, you will be contacted and instructed to bring payment for an initial FID card and any pistol purchase permits to the Ocean Gate Police Department by a department representative.
10. Applications filed on or after 10/01/2020, E-Permits will be issued by the FARS system. Payment for your permits must be made prior to your application being approved.
FIREARMS APPLICANT FEE SCHEDULE:
Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: Check, Cash or money order payable to: Borough of Ocean Gate in the amount of $50.00.
Permits to Purchase a Handgun: Check, Cash or money order payable to: Borough of Ocean Gate in the amount of $25.00 per permit.
Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: There is no fee for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. (Change of Address, Name, Sex, Lost or Stolen FID card)
Ocean Gate Police Firearms Unit
Patrolman Ryan Stichter
732-269-6931 ext. 224
If you are having problems with F.A.R.S., contact:The New Jersey State Police @ 609-882-2000
Copyright © 2023 Ocean Gate Police Department - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder